The 6 Best Decisions I Made in 2015 | Boise Beauty & Boudoir Photography
Last year I wrote a post called The 5 Best Things I Did in 2014. It was a great exercise in gratefulness and it was also really interesting to look back on my year. So I’m going to make it a tradition. If you’re a journaler or blogger, I highly recommend you try it as well!
2015 was a year of HUGE changes for my family! We moved from Denver to Boise, my husband started his own company and I started a new branch of my business. Looking back there were some super stressful times (moving is REALLY hard you guys!) but overall it has been another great year that I count as a success.
Here are the 6 best things I did in 2015:
1. I learned to be less of a control freak and embrace change. Nothing makes you feel out of control quite like moving your family of 6 and your business to a new state. It was REALLY difficult for me the first few weeks after moving. I felt like we had made a terrible mistake. But, as with most things, time was all I needed to realize that moving was the best decision for our family. I miss Denver but I get to visit 3-4 times a year for my job. How fun is that?
2. I invested in changing my mindset. This may sounds a little off the wall to some of you, but this year I realized that my mindset is truly what can make or break my business. After my little pity party following our move, I worked really hard to change how I react in certain situations and be more aware of my attitude. I took an amazing course Called Platinum Program Secrets that helped me change the way I saw the future of my business. Which led me to…
3. I started a new branch of my business! I’ve been coaching other photographers for awhile, but this year I got it together and created Pro Photo Mentor. The success of this part of my business has exceeded all of my expectations and I cannot wait to see what 2016 brings.
4. I faced my second biggest fear: public speaking. (If you know me, you know spiders are my #1 biggest fear!) By a set of crazy circumstances I was chosen to be a keynote speaker at the yearly IWBO full day workshop. I spoke for 10 minutes and it was terrifying! However, looking back now I am so glad I did it. It pushed me out of my comfort zone big time and showed me that I could face my fears.
5. I had MY portraits professionally taken. In June my husband and I drove to Seattle so I could have my photographs taken by the amazingly talented Nikki Closser. Not only did I get to have a mini-vacation with my husband, I got to have my hair and makeup done and be pampered for the day. Nikki is an amazing photographer and she and her team made me feel like a million bucks. I also got to live out my mantra that Every woman should have a beautiful, professional portrait of herself!
6. I really put myself out there and tried to meet new people. I am a little shy and at first I thought I’d just stay in my little bubble and meet friends “eventually.” But I realized that this was no way to live and I decided to just put myself out there. I joined IWBO, I started a local photography group for female photogs in Boise, I had some get-togethers with other photographers and I taught a pricing and sales class. I also photographed some amazing local Boise ladies! I don’t think I’ve ever made so many friends so fast. It just goes to show that putting yourself out there can really bring a lot of joy to your life!
So my biggest takeaways from the year are to be brave and put yourself out there. Meet new people. Do things that scare you. Let go of control sometimes and enjoy the ride.
2016, I’m ready for you 😉
What are some of the best things YOU did in 2015? Comment below!