Denver Beauty Photographer- The 5 Best Decisions I Made in 2014
This year has been amazing. I have not been able to say that about the past few years. They were tough. My husband was out of work for 6 months. Our car was totaled. We struggled. I cried a lot. But we pushed through. I knew that 2014 was going to be a good year. I could just feel it. And it was.
And though our outside circumstances had something to do with it, it mostly was because I made a conscious effort to change my attitude and kick some butt.
Mid-year I was feeling low and ready to quit my business. I struggle with anxiety so many times things that are not really that big of a deal consume me and I obsess over them. After a few weeks of being miserable I had had enough of myself and decided to make a change in my business which resulted in the best 6 months I have ever had.
And while I still struggle with taking things personally and letting things go, I have been able to focus more on the good things in my life and business.
So I thought I’d share with you 5 of the best decisions I made this past year that propelled me towards a happier, more successful, less stressful existence.
1. I outsourced a lot of my work. I hired my amazing studio manager Amanda who handles most of my e-mails and now also edits most of my sessions. This is hands down the best business decision I have ever made. It gave me more time to be with my family and really streamlined my business. Lesson learned: sometimes you have to let things go, even though you feel like you can’t. It frees you up to do even more awesome things!
2. I created and paticipated in my beauty challenge #28DtoG. Almost 200 of you ladies signed up for this and it was so uplifting not only to participate in it myself, but to watch all of you take part as well. Seeing your photos on FB and Instagram was so awesome and really did my soul good. Lesson learned: sometimes you need to get out of your own head and connect with other people towards a common goal or vision. Doing the challenge with you guys made me feel like we were all on the same team.
3. I cleaned my closet out. This sounds silly, but OMG did it make a difference. I had a closet full of clothes that didn’t fit. I’d try 5 outfits on before going anywhere and then get frustrated when it didn’t look good. One day, in a fit of rage, I pulled out everything that didn’t fit and put it in a box and hid the box from view. So now I know everything in my closet fits me and it is much faster and less stressful to pull out something to wear. Seriously, this made a huge impact on my daily mood. And it gave me a reason to shop for clothes that fit me! Lesson learned: out with the old, in with the new!
4. I decided to homeschool my 4 children. Now, I should let you all know, we haven’t actually started yet, but just making the decision has made me happier. I was tired of seeing my kids for an hour in the morning and a few hours at night, during which I was yelling, rushing, and exhausted. I know it kind of sounds crazy to homeschool 4 kids when you are running your own business, but there ARE people that do it. And I am excited to spend more time with my kids and help them learn. Lesson learned: sometimes going against the grain and doing something people think is “crazy” is exactly what you need in life.
5. I bought a new camera. BRAND NEW. This was a big deal for me, as the past two cameras I have owned have been used. Don’t get me wrong, they were great cameras and they did a fantastic job. But there is nothing like opening a brand new camera. It was scary spending that much money, but it was worth it. I love my camera, it’s my baby. Lesson learned: sometimes it’s ok to spend a lot of money on something you need and will get a lot of use out of.
Looking ahead to 2015 is really exciting for me. I have some BIG changes coming that am beyond excited about. As always, I am so thankful to all of you who follow and support me online and in real life. My clients truly are amazing and I am so humbled that you have chosen me and my team to capture your images. I can’t wait to see what 2015 brings!
*Below is a slideshow of some of my favorite images from this past year. Enjoy!