As you may remember from my Sand Dunes photo shoot last month, I have a running bucket list of shoots I’d like to do in my lifetime! This month I was able to cross another one off the list.
A local photographer lives on this stunning property and I rented it for the evening to create the shoot I’d been planning for months.
Here’s the rundown of how I plan out all of the details in advance for my stylized shoots:
- Choose a theme/ look for the shoot
- Create a Pinterest board with the look I am going for (poses, hair and makeup, wardrobe, props etc.)
- Shop for wardrobe. For this shoot I purchased all of the looks you see on various websites including Forever 21, Cupshe and Avenle (my favorite boutique!)
- Secure a location. Sometimes I just see a cool spot while I’m out driving and other times I have to go looking for awhile to find the perfect spot. I take note of when the light is best in that area for photos as well.
- Create style sheets with each look I am going to shoot. I typically do 4-5 looks and it takes me about 2 hours.
- Create posing sheets of any particular poses I want to be sure to get. Since my model Marissa’s boyfriend was joining us, I made sure to create quite a few of the couples’ posing sheets, since I don’t shoot couples very often!
- Collaborate with hair and makeup artist and models to ensure we are all on the same page
Here are some visuals of my style & posing sheets, which I just make in Photoshop!
Here’s a little Behind The Scenes of me shooting!
Time To Execute the Plan…
After my whole team has a feel for what I want, it makes the day run super smoothly!
It was another extremely hot Boise evening when we got to the farm- about 98 degrees to be exact! Luckily for me, my models were really easy to work with and had a great attitude. We had a lot of fun and I think you can see that in the images!
Thank you to my husband, videographer Small Raven Films, who came along as well and created the amazing promo video for me that you see below.
I was also so lucky to have the wonderfully talented Edith Liera on hair and makeup for this shoot. And BIG thanks to my models Marissa and Juan, and property owner Lynn for helping me achieve my vision for this shoot!
If you’re in the Boise area and want to plan a shoot on this gorgeous property, please send my studio manager an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. I would love to create another beautiful photo session on the farm!
Scroll down for my favorite images & the video from this session!
Video by Small Raven Films